Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Why yes. Yes, I do enjoy getting the props.

Today in a lecture, we talked about nosocomial infections (infections that people get from BEING in the hospital, as opposed to ones they come in with). There was a PowerPoint slide about a specific factor that accounts for a big proportion of these infections: people with indwelling urinary catheters account for like 80% of all cases.

I raised my hand and asked the lecturer, an MD who specializes in Infectious Disease, "what about the percentage of people who have catheters? What's their likelihood of contracting an infection?" See, what I did there was to turn it around.

This was, apparently, awesome. It kicked off a tangent, a brief and productive one, with everybody in class clacking away at keyboards and scribbling notes. We got some high-yield and helpful info about how stuff works, that wasn't on the original PowerPoint. I got a compliment. "See," said the MD. "That's the kind of thinking that's worth more than just knowing the factual information."

It was a nice boost, and one I needed, because seriously, sometimes the sheer volume of the factual stuff gets ridiculous. I have always been lousy at the "binge and purge" method of studying, and as a result I've dragged myself, kicking and screaming, into these advanced studies. Half the time, forcing myself to study is like getting a toddler to eat cauliflower. I do not get A's on everything, and truth be known, I rarely get A's on anything. But it's okay. As long as I know that they know what I know, it's okay.

It would be cool if there were some type of exchange rate, where props could be converted to points.

No comments: